Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Deal Tact"

Terrific post today from John Jenkins at the Deallawyers.com blog titled "A Little 'Deal Tact' Goes a Long Way." John gets right to the heart of those factors I have consistently found key to successful dealmaking, whether you are the lawyer, financial advisor or principal: Acting respectfully to everyone in the process, not engaging in negotiating "games" or pissing matches, and always focusing on moving the deal forward.

My favorite quote:

"I’m not suggesting that deal lawyers should always act like Clark Kent -- possessing a little deal tact doesn’t mean you shouldn’t play hard ball when appropriate. I’m just saying that Conan the Barbarian shouldn’t be our role model either. I mean, if you really believe that what is best in life is “to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women,” you’d probably be much happier as a litigator anyway."


No comments: