Monday, June 12, 2006

Pissing Matches

I spent the first few years after law school as a litigation attorney in a small firm. I learned a lot, and worked with some great folks, several of whom are still good friends. Despite the long time (and career changes) since then, stories like this remind me of what I hated most about litigation - the petty bickering over meaningless crap.

In a negotiation, you can usually find ways to rise above this stuff. In a lawsuit, you may be trapped by the obstinacy of your opposing counsel. What's really amazing here is that both parties to the litigation are companies (OK, insurance companies, but still). You'd think the litigation managers would be wondering why they're getting billed for motions to be filed over such nonsense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother in law is a Corporate D guy in the pharmaceutical industry and he turned me onto your blog- good stuff. After reading this post, I wanted to relay a story about insurance company litigation. At a cocktail party last weekend I was talking with a neighbor about a vacant building I often pass in Wakefield MA. Apparently it was the old American Mutual of Wakefield office. American Mutual was put out of business by a personal injury attorney who kept on pursuing medical malpractice claims on a particular doctor or surgeon that was practicing while intoxicated. Apparently the attorney found every one of his patients and went through their records for irregularities. I think this story coupled with the one you linked help explain the cost of insurance in this county.